Pumpkin & Sage Ravioli

I finally did it. I put pumpkin in something that isn’t a cookie. Or a muffin. Or a cinnamon roll. It’s taken over a year, but can you blame me? With so many other dinner-friendly varieties of squash out there, the adorable little pumpkin begs to be lovingly cradled from the store all the way to the kitchen, then turned into delectable treats. (I refuse to believe that I’m the only person who carefully searches the pumpkin pile until I’m sure I’ve found the cutest one, then proudly parades it around the store.)

This was my second attempt at a savory pumpkin dish. The first, sadly, was not a success. I made pumpkin gnudi that were more like boiled pumpkin paste blobs than pasta. (As I started to make the dough, it quickly became apparent to me that my pumpkin purée was too watery. I attempted to compensate by adding more egg, cheese, and flour, but it did not do the trick.) Luckily, I did not give up on pumpkin for dinner! And these ravioli were far better. I have since seen a few pumpkin gnocchi/gnudi dishes kicking around the gawkerverse, so I will definitely be giving that one a try again. (I will not be outdone!) ;)

Pumpkin & Sage Ravioli

yield: approx. 4 doz.

Note: I kind of threw this dish together on a whim, so my measurements below are approximations. Please feel free to adjust ingredients as you see fit. Also, if your pumpkin purée seems a bit watery, cook off some of the water in a pan over medium-low heat.

• 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin purée
  • 1 cup of ricotta cheese
  • 2 oz. of goat cheese
  • 3 tbsp of fresh sage, minced
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp of fresh/coarsely ground black pepper (if using finely ground pepper, start with 1/2 a tsp and adjust to taste)
  • 3/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 batches of egg pasta dough

Mix all of the filling ingredients together, reserving ⅓ of the sage for garnish.

On a floured surface, roll one batch of pasta dough out into a large rectangle, until it is thin, but not in danger of tearing (around 1/16 of an inch thick). Drop tablespoons of filling over the surface of the dough, leaving about an inch between.

Roll the second batch of dough out into another rectangle, doing your best to replicate the size/shape of the first. Using a pastry brush (or your fingers), rub a little bit of water on the surface of the first dough between the filling, to ensure a proper seal. Carefully place the second rectangle of dough on top, and press all around to close. Cut ravioli with a knife or pasta wheel. To make sure they’re extra sealed (and extra cute), press all around the edges with a fork.

Note: If you still have some filling and a bit of dough leftover after trimming off the edges, knead the dough back together, and roll out again. Use a biscuit cutter (or any other round sharpish thing) to cut out as many circles as you can. Spoon filling into the center, brush water around the edges, then fold over and seal. (That’s why the little guys in my pictures look like halfmoons, rather than squares.)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add ravioli and cook until they begin to float (this should only take a few minutes). As usual, I’m advocating the pan-frying of the ravioli after they’ve finished cooking. Add a tablespoon or two of butter to a pan, then add the ravioli and leftover sage and fry over medium heat, until golden brown on each side. Garnish with a little more sage if you like, and maybe some freshly-grated parm.

(Any leftover, uncooked ravioli can be frozen in a heavy-duty ziploc bag.)

Post to Twitter

Comments

• says

Yes, the pan frying gives the outsides of the ravioli a nice, golden brown crisp. I’ve had straight-up deep-fried ravioli before, which are on another level entirely (and one I don’t feel like shooting for when it comes to normal dinners). So cooking them as usual in boiling water then giving them a quick pan-fry is a nice alternative. You get a nice, slightly crispy dish, without all the hassle (or greasiness) of deep-frying!

1. says

Pumpkin with Sage is such a great combination of flavors! I “borrowed” my parent’s pasta crank the other day and I need to make my own pasta dough now.
    I love your pictures, they make me want to have this ravioli for dinner!

• says

Thank you, Lena! I love pasta cranks—they make the work so much easier and they look awesome. I bought a nice one over a year ago, and then discovered that I can’t easily use it by myself, which directly conflicts with my need to have 100% control over everything going on in my kitchen. :) Perhaps it’s time for a motor attachment!

2. says

Woohoo! Good job getting pumpkin out of dessert and into dinner! Your ravioli look delicious and I have always wanted to make my own ravioli. Pumpkin makes that proespect even more tempting!
    Pumpkin is great in chili or stew too : )

3. says

These are gorgeous! So rustic and hearty. I can’t wait to give them a go. Surprisingly I have only made savoury stuff from pumpkins and never sweet, maybe it is an Australian thing, lol. Thanks for sharing!

4. Dyane says

love the filling recipe, but will try with pierogi dough… Egg dough tends to be tough and will dominate the taste of filling

5. judy baxendell says

While in Italy, tasted pumpkin ravioli, and it was AWESOME! So excited when I saw you recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

6. Michele says

I have a whole package of wonton wrappers that I bought by accident when I needed egg roll wrappers. Do you think that would work instead of making the homemade dough? I would love to try this recipe and just trying to think of ways to make it a week night meal.

• says

Those will work just fine! I haven’t tried wonton wrappers myself yet, but I’ve heard many people say that they work very well as a substitute.

7. Kathy says

I will definitely try this! Here’s one for you. Google “Pumpkin Swiss Gratin”. It’s awesome! Like Potatoes Au Gratin, with pumpkin.

8. Jenny says

this recipe looks amazing, and I started making it tonight for dinner but there was so much black pepper. Are these suppose to be so peppery? This batch didn’t workout for me, but I will give it another shot some other night. Thoughts?

• says

Hmmmm. Is the pepper you’re using more like a finely ground table pepper? I tend to either use freshly ground pepper or a rather coarse ground pepper when I’m out of the former. And now that I think about it, the grind would make a huge difference in the amount of pepper that a teaspoon holds! Sorry about that, Jenny. I will amend the post to note this. Perhaps next time, you could try dialing it back to a half teaspoon, or just adjusting to taste to make sure things don’t get out of control. Thank you for bringing this up!

• Jenny says

It was pretty finely ground store bought stuff, fresh ground would have been much better. I will definitely be trying again soon! Thank you!

9. Michaela says

WOW! I am obessessed with pumpkin and Fall….I made these last night and they were DELISH! I used wonton wrappers, and my boyfriend and I worked together on the construction. I froze half for a quick delicious meal in the near future. Thanks!!!

10. Megan says

Made these last night. Couldn’t get the pasta dough to work out so I gave up and decided to just make a sauce out of the filling. With a little half and half mixed in and simmered, it was delicious over tortellini!

• says

Hi Megan! I’m sorry you couldn’t get the dough to work out, but I’m glad you were able to enjoy the filling as a sauce. That sounds delicious!

11. Suzanne Sheldon says

Your photographs make these look so delicious, they’re beautiful. My husband raves about the pumpkin ravioli that he eats while on his trips to Italy. I always wanted to make them, but couldn’t find a recipe that suited me. Now we are vegans, so finding that perfect recipe will be even more challenging. I need to go for it, I have nearly 30 pumpkins that sprouted from my compost pile. (Last year there were many more!) Anyhow, very lovely blog.

• says

Thank you, Suzanne! :) One of the nice things about squash is that it’s so creamy, you don’t really miss the dairy component that’s usually necessary for a creamy ravioli. A dairy-free pesto would probably be great mixed into this filling along with some nutritional yeast. It sounds like you have plenty of pumpkins to let you tinker with recipes!

Trackbacks