Veggie Quinoa Bibimbap

Holy smokes, it’s nearly July! Spring and June have simply vanished. And I’ve been a little neglectful of you all — I’m so sorry. I wish I had a sob story about mountains of work, but it’s kind of the opposite (for once!). I spent the past two weekends frolicking about with W, falling in love with the northeastern part of the state, and discovering the best, most-charming bakery in Vermont. Not even the oppressive heat of last week or my new-found ability to destroy essential devices with my mere presence has managed to offset my enthusiasm. But even so, I wish I’d spent a little more time here, especially since I promised you all giveaways! Those will still be happening, very soon. I’m stuck in rural upstate NY house/garden/cat-sitting for the next two weeks, which means productivity is my only option.

And now, let’s talk bibimbap. You may have already seen a few of these bouncing around the various food-ogling forums (which is how I discovered it). But for those who aren’t familiar with it, bibimbap is a Korean dish that consists of rice, red chili paste, various veggies, maybe some meat, and a raw or lightly-fried egg. You stir everything up at the last minute, and the egg mixes with the chili paste to form a scrumptious sauce.

(You might notice that the red chili paste is M.I.A. from these pictures. Sauce drizzles give me visual icks, so I opted to add it afterward.)

Anyway, the beauty of bibimbap is that it’s extremely customizable. I decided to run with that and do the dish a possible disservice by using quinoa in place of rice. Additionally, after posting this, I was chided for using sriracha in place of red chili paste. I didn’t feel like searching any further than my pantry to find ingredients, so that was good enough for me. (I also strive to be thorough in my posts, however, so if you’re looking for the real deal, what you want is gochujang.) So this might not be a true bibimbap, but it’s certainly a delicious one. I regularly eat varying combinations of these ingredients for lunch, but this was the first time I’ve combined them together into a meal that’s as tasty as it is pretty. The nearly endless possibilities of this dish make me excited to try other variations in the future!

Veggie Quinoa Bibimbap

• 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
  • 1 small beet, peeled and grated
  • 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1/3 cup of sweet corn
  • half an avocado, cut into small chunks
  • 1 egg
  • red chili paste (sriracha works well as a substitute)
  • sesame oil
  • soy sauce

Heat sesame oil in a pan over medium heat. Stir fry beets, carrots, and corn for a couple minutes, or until just lightly cooked. Transfer veggies to a bowl with quinoa, then add avocado and a dash of soy sauce.

In a separate pan, fry an egg (sunny side up) until whites are just set. Place the egg on top of your dish and add a healthy dose of red chili paste. Give everything a good stir, then dig in!

Post to Twitter

Comments

1. Joan says

I have never used red chili paste. Is it really hot and spicy? I prefer to taste my food – as opposed to burning off my taste buds! And, I have never heard of sriracha. What is it, and what part of a grocery store does it live in?

• says

Hi Joan! Sriracha can be a little intense, especially if you prefer the spiciness of food to be a bit muted. But the true red chili paste that is intended to be used in this dish (gochujang) is a bit different. I haven’t actually sought out a jar of it yet, but from what I’ve read online it seems as though it will have a slightly more subdued, complex flavor. Gochujang is made from a combination of fermented soybeans, glutinous rice flour, chiles, and salt, whereas sriracha is chiles, vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. So I’d imagine that the spice of sriracha is going to be a little bit more assertive in contrast to gochujang. If you’re looking for something that won’t assault your taste buds, I’d suggest seeking out the latter. You should be able to find it in any Asian market, and quite possibly in the ethnic foods section of your local grocery store.

• Sylvia says

Gochujang is an absolute must-try the next time you make this dish! A little sweet, a little spicy, and the pasty-ness add up to nothing less than incredible korean comfort food. it makes the dish, really. when my korean friends had me try this dish, they ate it with a big spoon, almost like eating ice cream from the tub, haha! All in all, suuuuper yummy.

• says

It’s definitely something I need to try! I did a bit of reading about it when I did this post, and it sounds super delicious. :)

2. katie says

i made this for lunch today, it was quick and totally delicious! i put some of it in half a whole wheat pita…so yummy…

• says

Glad you enjoyed it, Katie! I bet it was great in the pita. I regularly eat variations of this in wraps — so good (and very easy to stuff in my face!). :)

3. Nathalie says

Just made this and it was wonderful! Will definetly become a staple in my home!
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe!!!

N

Trackbacks

1. [...] sweet chili drizzle, and her husband Matt’s all-time favorite dish: bibimbap. I found this recipe online and we talked groceries, chopping, plating strategies for [...]